This blog had been moved to a new HOME! http://www.whileinkl.com. Or it will redirect automitaclly after 5 seconds.







Thursday, January 31, 2013

Driving License Conversion Process

My driving license from Indonesia is about to expired..March 2013. I can't go back either to Jakarta or Medan only for this reason..then, this is the time for me to explore another rule practiced in Malaysia. I don't know why, but somehow I am so happy if by any chance I can understand what's the rules and how they practice it here.


Acknowledgment Letter
So, for Indonesian, actually we do not need to convert our driving license (SIM) to Malaysian driving license. We can just use or current driving license with an acknowledgment letter from Indonesian Embassy. To get this letter, we need to bring along :

- Original Passport
- Original Driving License (SIM)

Pay the fee, which I forgot the amount (around RM20-RM30). It is not expensive anyway, then we will received the letter. The expiry of this letter will be same as the driving license itself. 
Then, in my case now, I have to choose whether I go back to Indonesia and go to the embassy once again to get this kind of letter, or should I just follow the conversion rules here? I decided to convert it, since for me that would be easier, I think :p


To be converted, there are 2 stages.
Stage 1
Documentation needed :

1. Form B2 – JPJL2 ( Filled and Signed)
2. Original Passport and Copy of the Passport
3. Original Employment Pass / Work Permit / Dependant's Pass
4. Original  Driver's License and Copy of the Driver’s Licence
5. Letter from the Embassy or Local Road Transport authority attesting that the licence is a true document   (validation of the document) – applies since June 2011
As per information received, the 1st stage will take around 4 - 6 weeks for the approval. Should we received the approval, then only we can go through the 2nd stage.

Stage 2
1. Form JPJL1 (Signed)
2. Original Passport and Copy of the Passport
3. Original Employment Pass / Work Permit / Dependant's Pass and Copy
4. Original Driver's License and Copy
5. Coloured photograph x 1 (25mm x 32mm) on blue background  - to specify to photo studio that it is for Driver's License
The stage 2 process should not take a long time, since we already have the approval, then it's only the license making process. 

Oh ya.. This process only can be done if the current license already been held for over than 2 years. 
Here is the link to all the forms needed, got from and the official website of JPJ.

Now, I am crossing my finger, because my application is still in the 1st stage. So wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment